Learn the 13 most important foundational movements of belly dancing! Once you master these, you will have what it takes to begin creating all the spicy, snakey, silky, smooth moves you see in those amazing belly dancing videos. It won’t be easy, but don’t give up. Rome wasn’t built in a day! Good dancing takes lots of time and practice. Keep practicing and remember to relax and enjoy the experience.
Disclaimer: The videos below can be used as an introduction to basic techniques, as well as a resource for students taking LIVE classes. However, no video can replace the value of a qualified LIVE instructor. Videos can’t give you feedback (yet) or ensure that you are performing the techniques safely and correctly! So if you haven’t already, find an experienced and respected instructor in your area to help guide you along your belly dance journey.
If you live in the Houston Texas area and you would enjoy learning how to dance, we would love to help you achieve your dance dreams.
1. Weighted Hip Lifts and Drops
2. Un-weighted Hip Lifts and Drops
3. Knee Shimmy
4. Head Slide
5. Shoulder Rolls
6. Snake Arms: an alternating wave of each arm, right arm, then left arm
7. Ribcage Slides: side to side, forward and back
8. Hip Slides: side to side, forward and back
9. Chest Lift and Drop
10. Hip/Pelvic Tilt Forward and Back
11. Ribcage Twist
12. Hip Twist
13. Full Body Undulations: Down and Up/Reverse